[Mne_analysis] MNE mixed-norms regularization parameter

Kambiz Tavabi ktavabi at uw.edu
Tue Apr 24 15:38:56 EDT 2018

Hi all,
I am trying to use the MNE mixed norms solver to get the locations of
robust sources in a typical lexical decision task in adult subjects. An
issue I am having is how to set the regularization parameter (alpha) which
ranges from 0-100(high). Although the mne-python docstring has no
recommended default value, in the tutorials 55 is used.
At that value and e.g., 25, mxne_inverse throws No "active dipoles found.
alpha is too big." exception.
I am assuming alpha is or is related to lambda in formulation 3 in Gramfort
et al., 2012, and thus determines the best fitting solution? What's not
clear is how to set alpha across datasets to get around these
non-convergence cases?

best
Kambiz