[Mne_analysis] MNE method is invariant to the scale of noise

Evgenii Kalenkovich e.kalenkovich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 01:45:56 EST 2018

 Alexandre  thank you for your reply. It did help. I now understand why
dSPM and sLORETA results differ even though MNE results do not. I am still
confused as to why MNE results do not change.

If I were to, say, go from millivolts to microvolts, then both the noise
and the data would be scaled by 1e3 and noise covariance matrix - by 1e6
and the SNR would stay the same. Same results of MNE with the same input
but scaled covariance mean that here - where the data is scaled by 1e3 as
well - I would get the source estimates scaled by 1e3 which is strange. I
would expect (from the formulas on The minimum-norm current estimates
<https://martinos.org/mne/stable/manual/source_localization/inverse.html>)
that scaling of all the data should not change anything because the kernel
would have changed reciprocally - by 1e-3. What am I missing?

In my application I know the subject's structural information and electrode
locations beforehand but I do not know how the data that I get in real time
was preprocessed. At first, I used an identity covariance matrix to make
the inverse solution. Then I scaled it by the mean variance of all EEG
signals to tell mne-python the scale of the data but nothing changed, which
is what led me to this question. Just explaining that I do not multiply
random parts of the pipeline by random numbers :-)

Evgenii

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>