[Mne_analysis] Discrete Source Space source localization

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 10:45:15 EST 2018

> This doesn't make sense to me. Both the dipole and the single source
> volume source space should have the same lead field and should be trying to
> explain the same data. granted there is regularization in the dspm, but I'm
> not sure why that would move the peaks around in time?

To get to the bottom of this I would try simulating evoked data
<https://martinos.org/mne/stable/generated/mne.simulation.simulate_evoked.html#mne.simulation.simulate_evoked>.
First I'd use a single source (discrete source space with a single point)
activated with some pattern (Hann window
<https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.hanning.html>?)
with no noise (nave=np.inf) and a diagonal ad-hoc noise covariance
<https://martinos.org/mne/stable/generated/mne.make_ad_hoc_cov.html#mne.make_ad_hoc_cov>
during `fit_dipole` and `make_inverse_operator` and repeat this analysis.
Hopefully they all agree and give you back your activation. Then you could
add noise with a realistic spatial pattern (e.g., from your real data
baseline period) and see what happens. Hopefully this moves toward what you
see with the real data. But testing through simulation should allow you to
probe how each choice (covariance, regularization, noise sources, inverse,
etc.) affect the results.

If you try it, let us know what you find! Eventually we could consider
turning it into some sort of tutorial.

Eric