[Mne_analysis] saccade detection from Neuromag-EOG

Sebastian Bitzer Sebastian.Bitzer at tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 12 09:11:32 EST 2018

Dear all,

has anyone of you any experience with trying to separate saccades from eye blinks purely based on vertical and horizontal EOG-channels as typically recorded in the Elekta Neuromag MEG system? My main concern currently is whether it would be viable at all to try to do that.

As I interpret MNE's log-messages in find_eog_events ("... help distinguish blinks from saccades" - "Now detecting blinks and generating corresponding events"), it is possible to filter out blinks from the EOG. So I'm wondering how reliably one could identify saccade events. I don't need to know where a subject looked, but knowing when the eyes moved and perhaps in what direction would be great.

I'd appreciate any experience reports and literature pointers.

Thanks a lot,

Sebastian Bitzer
TU Dresden
https://sbitzer.eu