[Mne_analysis] saccade detection from Neuromag-EOG

Phillip Alday phillip.alday at mpi.nl
Wed Jan 17 09:51:26 EST 2018

I don't think MNE has a direct implementation of such a procedure, but
there are few things you could do:

1. Use ICA -- blinks and saccades usually have quite different
components (both in time-course and topographies). There's an
ica_find_eog_events() function in MNE that may be helpful with this.

2. Use a regression-based approach only on the horizontal and not the
vertical channels. See e.g.
https://cbrnr.github.io/2017/10/20/removing-eog-regression/ for the
general EOG approach.

3. Take advantage of the very different time-courses of blinks and
saccades to some type of rejection. If I recall correctly, Luck
discusses this in his ERP book when evaluating different
(semi)-automatic rejection techniques.

The direction of the saccade may be apparent from the polarity of EOGH
signal or the artefact in the other channels, although I don't know off
the top of my head if e.g. progressive/right saccades would have
positive or negative polarity for a mastoid/average/whatever reference.

Phillip