[Mne_analysis] Width of the transition band when applying a Hilbert transform

Ross Maddox rkmaddox at uw.edu
Tue Jan 23 14:42:51 EST 2018

Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule. In general you should filter
as "gently" as possible, since impulse responses can get shockingly long
with steeper slopes in the frequency domain. The best way to know how
spread in time your filtered signal is going to be is probably to look
directly at the filter impulse response (or the envelope of the IR). That
will give you and idea of how much the estimate at one time point depends
on the time points nearby.

Another good thing to do is to make some synthetic, known input signals and
process them to see how your analysis affects them.

Hope that helps,
Ross