[Mne_analysis] Source localization then Fourier transform vs the other way round

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at inria.fr
Sun Jul 15 05:14:19 EDT 2018

Gladia,

if you denote M \in R^{C x T} the M/EEG data (C is number of channels and T
the number of time points),
a linear inverse method estimates the sources S as S = K M where K is often
called the imaging kernel.
So source imaging is a left multiplication.

Note that the time series are the rows of M.

If you do a temporal transform such as Fourier transform you do M F, where
F is matrix that goes
from time to spectral domain.

So to get sources in the spectral domain you can either do:
K (M F) : first do spectral transform than source estimation.
or
(K M) F : first do source estimation than spectral transform

HTH
Alex