[Mne_analysis] Postdoc opportunities

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 5 14:48:06 EST 2018

Hello all,

There are two postdoctoral positions available in the MNE projects at the Martinos Center of MGH.

*****************************

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (MNE-Python)

Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School

Hours: Full time (40 hours/week)

Overview: Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow available at the
Massachusetts General Hospital Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging (http://
www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu). The postdoctoral fellow will also be affiliated with Harvard Medical
School. We are using electrophysiological recordings in combination with anatomical and
functional MRI to understand the functions of the healthy brain and how they are altered in
neurological and psychiatric diseases. We capitalize on the insights from our basic and clinical
research to develop new methods and tools to be applied in clinical practice.

Responsibilities: The postdoc will work in an NIH-funded project whose overall aim is to
provide well-documented and tested novel analysis software to promote both basic neuroscience
and clinical research applications using MEG and EEG. In particular, during the past
eight years we have developed, with NIH support, the MNE-Python software http://www.-
martinos.org/mne/, which covers multiple methods of data preprocessing, source localization,
statistical analysis, and estimation of functional connectivity between distributed brain
regions. In this new project we will extend our software to meet the needs of a growing user
base and reflect recent developments in the MEG/EEG field.

Requirements: Candidates should have a Doctoral degree in biomedical engineering, computer
science or related fields. Strong Python programming skills are required and background
and experience in acquiring and analyzing MEG/EEG data are highly desirable. Candidates
need to be able to work in a modern software development environment and be familiar
with controlled software development processes. A successful candidate is able to
work in a dynamic, international, and collaborative work environment. He/She will gain experience
in recording and analyzing electrophysiological data, working with state-of-the-art
brain mapping technologies as well as engaging in top-level research. Familiarity with MEG/
EEG and MRI analysis software packages, in particular MNE-Python and FreeSurfer is highly
beneficial.

Welcome to the MNE Family!

Massachusetts General Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. Full-time employees receive
full benefits, competitive salaries, and excellent resources for career development.

Contact: Matti Hämäläinen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <mailto:msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Massachusetts General Hospital / Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Boston, MA, USA

*****************************

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (MNE-Scan)

Location: Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School

Hours: Full time (40 hours/week)

Overview: Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position available at the Massachusetts
General Hospital Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging (http://www.nmr.
mgh.harvard.edu). The postdoctoral fellow will also be affiliated with Harvard Medical
School. Our MEG/EEG laboratory is using electrophysiological recordings in combination with
anatomical and functional MRI to understand the functions of the healthy brain and how they
are altered in neurological and psychiatric diseases. Our ultimate goal is to capitalize on the
insights from our basic and clinical research to develop new methods and tools to be applied
in clinical practice.

Responsibilities: The Postdoctoral fellow will work in an NIH-funded project which aim is to
develop a device-independent and real-time capable software (MNE Scan). MNE Scan is
based on the MNE-CPP framework (www.mne-cpp.org) and will significantly increase the
ease and efficiency of acquiring, monitoring, analyzing, and integrating electroencephalography
(EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), electrocorticography (ECoG), and stereotactic
EEG (SEEG) data. The MNE Scan software will format incoming electrographic data from
any recording device for EEG, ECoG, SEEG, and MEG, store the data, carry out preprocessing
for noise reduction and signal conditioning, display the incoming data in real time, and
carry out the data analysis at the level of active tissues instead of the sensor level. Its realtime
capability will provide immediate feedback to clinicians, enabling them to use this information
for improving diagnosis and surgical management of epilepsy. Furthermore, MNE
Scan will be used during neurofeedback experiments, including brain state dependent stimulation.
The Postdoctoral fellow will work with other members of the investigative team to identify and
develop new scientific use cases and research questions for the MNE Scan software described
above. He will also work together with other investigators in the team to enhance
source estimation and connectivity estimation methods to work efficiently in the real-time environment.

Requirements: The successful candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering,
computer science, or related fields. A successful candidate will benefit from working in a
dynamic, international, and collaborative supportive work environment. He/She will gain experience
in recording and analyzing electrophysiological data, working with state-of-the-art brain
mapping technologies as well as engaging in top-level research. Previous experience in acquiring
and analyzing MEG/EEG data is a strength. Strong C++ programming skills and experience
in the Qt toolkit are highly desirable. It is preferred that the candidate has familiarity
with MEG/EEG and MRI analysis software packages, in particular MNE and FreeSurfer.

Welcome to the MNE Family!

Massachusetts General Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. Full-time employees receive
full benefits, competitive salaries, and excellent resources for career development.

Contact: Matti Hämäläinen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <mailto:msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Massachusetts General Hospital / Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Boston, MA, USA

*****************************

The academic MEG/EEG software packages are becoming more and more important to the field as new new sensor technologies are being applied and new commercial MEG systems are becoming available. We welcome new young scientists to become part of this endeavor!

With best regards,
Matti

-------------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School

Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Building 149, 13th Street, Mailcode 149-2301
Charlestown, MA 02129-2060
USA

e-mail          msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <mailto:msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Tel             +1 617 726 0323