[Mne_analysis] Calssification for many subjects (patients)

Marijn van Vliet w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:48:21 EST 2019

Hi Julian,

I’ve recently written a paper that addresses transfer learning between subjects. The idea is that a (linear) classifier aims to extract the signal of interest from the rest of the EEG signal. Hence, the model is influenced by both. With transfer learning, the assumption is that the signal of interest is similar between subjects (otherwise it would be impossible). However, we can relax the assumption that the rest of the EEG signal (noise and other brain activity) is similar across subjects, and just transplant the signal of interest only. It’s written up here (includes a link to a Python package that implements the technique):

Post-hoc modification of linear models: combining machine learning with domain information to make solid inferences from noisy data
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/518662v1

And I use the technique in this paper as well:

Exploring the Organization of Semantic Memory through Unsupervised Analysis of Event-related Potentials
https://research.aalto.fi/files/27884560/jocn_a_01211.pdf

Maybe that helps.

Best,
Marijn.