[Mne_analysis] Threshold connectivity matrix

Bear, Joshua JOSHUA.BEAR at ucdenver.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:27:04 EST 2019

Hi Vivek,

In those examples, I believe the thresholding occurs from the n_lines parameter in the plot_connectivity_circle() function. n_lines=300 means that only the 300 strongest connections are plotted. See the documentation for plot_connectivity_circle: https://martinos.org/mne/stable/generated/mne.viz.plot_connectivity_circle.html#mne.viz.plot_connectivity_circle <https://martinos.org/mne/stable/generated/mne.viz.plot_connectivity_circle.html#mne.viz.plot_connectivity_circle>

If you wanted finer control over the threshold, you would need to either manipulate the values of the CON output (array) directly, or calculate an n_lines threshold that would capture your desired range. For example, if you wanted only those connections with a value > 0.3, you could count the number of connections with value > 0.3 and then use that number for your n_lines value. (I think this would work properly but have not tried it myself, so there might be some nuances to troubleshoot.)

It wasn’t clear to me whether you meant significant connections or just an absolute value. The above suggestions threshold based on absolute value. You could use some statistical test appropriate for your own data to determine the absolute value, but depending on your goal and data there might be more direct methods.

Cheers,
Josh

Joshua Bear, MD, MA | Assistant Professor, Pediatric Neurology and Epilepsy
University of Colorado and Children’s Hospital Colorado
13123 East 16th Avenue, Box B-155 | Aurora, CO 80045 | Phone: 720-777-6138 | Fax: 720-777-7285