[Mne_analysis] MNI Coords from SourceSpaces

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:26:04 EST 2019

vertex_to_mni is only really designed to work for surface-based source
estimates. So in this case you can instead look at
`src[0]['rr'][src[0]['vertno'][whichever]]` and this will give you an array
of shape (N, 3) corresponding to the points in the subject's MRI coordinate
frame.

For now you can use `mne.source_space._read_talxfm` to get the affine
transformation matrix that will convert these points to MNI space:

https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/mne/source_space.py#L1286

But it's private so the API can change at any time. Then you can use
`mne.transformns.apply_trans` to apply it to your points.

Feel free to open an MNE issue about making this function public, it's
probably worthwhile for applications like these. Also we should update the
`vertex_to_mni` doc to mention that it's only designed to work with surface
source spaces.

Eric