[Mne_analysis] How to keep the conda environment up-to-date with the changes in the git repository?

Burkhard Maess maess at cbs.mpg.de
Wed Jan 23 04:52:22 EST 2019

Dear MNE-Python team,

when following your instructions to install mne-python, one ends with a
conda environment which hosts the concurrent version of mne-python. This
works great!

However, after some time of usage one may wish to update this
installation to keep track with the most recent developments. One
solution would be to setup a new conda environment, of course, following
your instructions. I adopted the instructions to download the last
stable version 0.17:

$ curl -O
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mne-tools/mne-python/maint/0.17/environment.yml

$ perl -pe 's/name:\s+mne/name: mne_v017/' environment.yml
 >environment_v017.yml

$ conda env create -f environment_v017.yml

$ conda activate mne_v017

The other solution might be to follow your instructions under "advanced
setup". But something should be done differently than explained if I
want to update the version 0.17 while staying in this version. The
following command reported that it uninstalled v0.17 and updated to
v0.18dev:

$ pip install --upgrade --no-deps
git+https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python.git

I also tried this (as recommended in the "advanced setup":

$ git clone git://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python.git

But, this creates a local directory mne-python which completely ignores
the existing conda environment. So, it is a different track.

Do you have recommendations for an effective updating strategy of an
existing conda environment?

Thank you and all the best,

Burkhard

--
Dr. Burkhard Maess
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences