[Mne_analysis] Maxfilter and PCA-mag-v# projections

Samu Taulu staulu at uw.edu
Wed Jul 17 18:48:46 EDT 2019

Hi Marijn,

Empty room PCA vectors and the external SSS vectors that are based on a
physical model (vector spherical harmonics converging at the origin of the
coordinate system) typically span a very similar signal subspace.
Therefore, it sounds strange if your MaxFilter-processed data look very bad
while SSP-processed data with just three empty room vectors are good, and
potential bad channels have been excluded in the operations. I would like
to understand what's going on. You could try MaxFilter with a lower
external expansion order by setting -out 1 and then MaxFilter and SSP
should be even more compatible in your case. But I doubt that this solves
the problem. I would be happy to take a look at your problematic file, if
possible?

Best,
Samu