[Mne_analysis] How to get -trans from .spf

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 12:20:59 EDT 2019

If your sfp is already in the Freesurfer MRI surface RAS coordinate frame
("mri" coordinate frame in MNE), then you can import it using the montage
functions without transforming it to the head, then use the lpa/nasion/rpa
to get the transformation to Neuromag head coordinates with something like:

mri_head_t = mne.transforms.get_ras_to_neuromag_trans(nasion, lpa, rpa)
trans = mne.transforms.Transform('mri', 'head', mri_head_t)

Then I'd read and apply the montage the normal way (with the conversion to
head coordinate frame included), and make sure everything is correct by
plotting this using `plot_alignment` and the `show_axes=True` and
`dig=True` arguments.

Eric