[Mne_analysis] [spatiotemporal cluster tests sensors]

Sophie Herbst ksherbst at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:24:55 EDT 2019

Hi Eric,
What would be really useful for our work is a 3d cluster test (frequencies,
time, sensors), as already discussed here
<https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/issues/5144>.
Currently, we are forced to a-priori divide and average the data in
pre-defined frequency bands, which, as we know from the literature, are
somewhat arbitrary.
Letting the data speak as to where the effects are would be the better
approach.

To add to this discussion
<https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/issues/4859>, I personally think
mne's linear regression function used with a flexibly defined design matrix
(SPM-style or LIMO-toolbox) is the most versatile approach.

Let us know if our input could be of help!
Best,
Sophie

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 7:31 PM Eric Larson <larson.eric.d at gmail.com> wrote:

>         External Email - Use Caution
>
> In terms of spatio-temporal cluster tests across sensors -- I'm not sure
> what in particular you are looking for, but here is an example of a
> spatio-temporal EEG sensor cluster test contrasting two conditions:
>

> http://mne-tools.github.io/mne-biomag-group-demo/auto_examples/statistics/plot_sensor_spatio_temporal_cluster_stats.html
>
> Or one with ANOVA:
>

> https://mne-tools.github.io/stable/auto_tutorials/stats-sensor-space/plot_stats_spatio_temporal_cluster_sensors.html
>
> We have some plans to simplify these sorts of things in MNE, since right
> now they do require juggling NumPy arrays a bit. Nobody has started it as
> far as I know but here is the issue for discussion:
>
> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/issues/4859
>
> Christian Brodbeck maintains a separate repository/project called Eelbrain
> that has some more generalized statistical functions that might also make
> things easier (I have not personally tried it yet):
>
> https://eelbrain.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference.html#module-testnd
>
> Eric
>

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:09 PM Virginie van Wassenhove <
> virginie.van.wassenhove at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>         External Email - Use Caution
>>
>> Hi mne peeps,
>>
>> this is quick inquiry regarding the timeline and/or efforts needed to
>> enable such stastical approaches in mne-python. Is there python code that
>> gets close to it on which we could contribute  (I think it is available in
>> fieldtrip) or does it require more intense integration?
>>
>> Thank you for the info! (I launch this email because 3 studies would
>> currently benefit from this)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Virginie van Wassenhove
>> *https://brainthemind.com/ <https://brainthemind.com/>*