[Mne_analysis] maxfilter for head movement compensation only

Mainak Jas mainakjas at gmail.com
Tue May 7 09:57:23 EDT 2019

Hi Evgenii,

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Evgenii Kalenkovich <e.kalenkovich at gmail.com>
wrote:

>         External Email - Use Caution
>
> Hi, dear Mainak.
>
> Let me make sure I understand correctly what you are proposing:
>
>    1. Run `maxwell_filter` without setting bad channels.
>    2. Run `autoreject` on the results of step 1 and identify bad channels.
>    3. Run `maxwell_filter` again supplying the list of channels
>    identified in step 2.
>
> Does that make sense?

Umm ... sure you could try that but I suspect it may not work. I was
actually proposing to use SSP
<https://mne-tools.github.io/dev/auto_tutorials/preprocessing/plot_artifacts_correction_ssp.html>
for step 1. It's an alternative to SSS but in this situation, I think you
can use it here to complement SSS.

> I've just realized I have two further questions:
>
>    1. In this <https://github.com/autoreject/autoreject/issues/123>
>    issue, @dengemann mentioned that `autoreject` does not identify flat
>    channels. Do you think adding the following step would be appropriate?
>       - 0. Run `mne.preprocessing.mark_flat` to identify flat channels.
>
> I've never tried this but it sounds reasonable to me.

>    1. Would you add temporal filtering before `autoreject`?
>
> You could highpass before to avoid marking too many segments as bad.

Best,
Mainak