[Mne_analysis] [MNE_analysis] [ANN] MNE-Python 0.18

Sik mailsik at gmail.com
Tue May 21 14:03:38 EDT 2019

Dear community!

We are very pleased to announce the new 0.18 release of MNE-Python (
http://martinos.org/mne/stable/).

A few highlights
================

- Python 2 is no longer supported; MNE-Python now requires Python 3.5+
- New tutorials and examples on sleep stage classification, data simulation
using subject's anatomy, how to use EEG montages on fsaverage
- New module to simulate SourceEstimates
- Improved performance using CUDA, better copy management, better
dispatching of the computation over the channels
- New fetchers for polysomnography (PSG) recordings from Physionet and
fsaverage template
- Better support for source reconstruction with beamformers and other
inverse models
- Improved UI and visualizations for topomaps, Raw and Epochs objects
- Better support for Annotations
- Support to compute power envelope correlations on brain parcellation for
rest data
- Better rendering of the coregistration
- Added partial support for PyVista as a 3D backend that can replace mayavi
- Added support for Raw, Epochs and Evoked noise simulation
- Added new parcellation (448-labels subdivided aparc) and improve support
including morphing of the labels
- Better support for the TFR objects

And we caught and fixed more than 50 bugs!

Notable API changes
===================

- Deprecation of `mne.realtime` module to become entire project in the MNE
echosystem
- Deprecation of `mne.io.find_edf_events`, `raw.estimate_rank`
- Reading BDF and GDF files with `mne.io.read_raw_edf` is deprecated and
replaced by `mne.io.read_raw_bdf` and `mne.io.read_raw_gdf`
- The signatures of `mne.preprocessing.ICA`, `mne.simulation.add_noise` and
`mne.simulation.add_chpi` have changed
- Added overwrite parameter in `mne.Epochs.save`
- `mne.minimum_norm.apply_inverse` now returns
`mne.VolVectorSourceEstimate` when needed
- Annotations are now kept sorted by onset
- `peak_finder` should be imported as: `from mne.preprocessing import
peak_finder`

For a full list of improvements and API changes see:
http://martinos.org/mne/stable/whats_new.html#version-0-18

To install the latest release the following command should do the job:

    $ pip install --upgrade mne

As usual, we welcome your bug reports, feature requests, critiques, and
contributions.

Some links:
- https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python (code + readme on how to install)
- http://martinos.org/mne/stable/ (full MNE documentation)

Follow us on Twitter for general news (https://twitter.com/mne_news)
and for a regular feed of merged PRs (https://twitter.com/mne_python).

Regards,
The MNE-Python developers

52 people made commits that contributed to this release (in alphabetical
order):

* Achilleas Koutsou
* Alexander Kovrig
* Alexandre Gramfort