[Mne_analysis] Why does MNE resample method does not sample the data point to point?

Brunner, Clemens (clemens.brunner@uni-graz.at) clemens.brunner at uni-graz.at
Thu Jul 23 08:57:29 EDT 2020

Also note that the resample example (https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.signal.resample.html) shows upsampling, i.e. the data has a lower sampling rate than the resampled result. However, in the case of downsampling it is usually necessary to avoid aliasing of frequencies above the resampled Nyquist frequency. Therefore, the signal is typically low-pass filtered before the resampling step. As Eric mentioned, this anti-aliasing filter is what actually changes the signal values, but it is necessary to avoid aliasing artifacts.

AFAIK, scipy.signal.resample doesn't include an anti-aliasing filter, but both scipy.signal.resample_poly as well as scipy.signal.decimate apply such a low-pass filter before resampling. That's also what MNE does.

Clemens