[Mne_analysis] CSD might break montage

Gabriel Weindel gabriel.weindel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:21:20 EDT 2020

Hello all,

I am applying CSD to my epoched data and want to compare the
distributions of the ERPs on the scalp before and after surface laplacian.

epochs_csd = mne.preprocessing.compute_current_source_density(epochs)

I use : mne.viz.plot_compare_evokeds([epochs.average()], picks='eeg',
axes='topo')
To plot before CSD, everything works fine but then I use :
mne.viz.plot_compare_evokeds([epochs_csd.average()], picks='csd',
axes='topo')
And then the channel order is preserved but the cartoon head is shrinked
to the lower left of the figure (see attached) making it impossible to read.

I am assuming that the montage is lost in the csd transform as
epoch.info prints me :
<Info | 11 non-empty values
  bads: []
  ch_names: Fp1, AF7, AF3, F1, F3, F5, F7, FT7, FC5, FC3, FC1, C1, C3,
C5, ...
  chs: 64 EEG
  custom_ref_applied: True
  dig: 712 items (3 Cardinal, 64 EEG, 645 Extra)
  file_id: 4 items (dict)
  highpass: 0.0 Hz
  lowpass: 40.0 Hz
  meas_date: 2019-06-06 11:46:59 UTC
  meas_id: 4 items (dict)
  nchan: 64
  projs: []
  sfreq: 1000.0 Hz

and epochs_csd.info :

<Info | 11 non-empty values
  bads: []
  ch_names: Fp1, AF7, AF3, F1, F3, F5, F7, FT7, FC5, FC3, FC1, C1, C3,
C5, ...
  chs: 64 CSD
  custom_ref_applied: True
  dig: 712 items (3 Cardinal, 64 EEG, 645 Extra)
  file_id: 4 items (dict)
  highpass: 0.0 Hz
  lowpass: 40.0 Hz
  meas_date: 2019-06-06 11:46:59 UTC