[Mne_analysis] Does the computation of the FWD solution depend on the bad channels?

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:11:09 EST 2020

> I am using MNE for EEG analysis and source localization. My question is:
> does the computation of the FWD operator (lead-field matrix) depend on the
> marked bad channels (given in the info parameter)?

No it should not make a difference. The computation should still proceed
for all electrodes, and `forward['info']['bads']` does not appear to be
used when choosing which channels to use during `make_inverse_operator`.
You can test this locally by computing the forward twice, one with some
bads marked and one without any marked, and then construct an inverse
(passing an `info` with no bads marked) and in both cases you should see
that `inv['eigen_fields']['data'].shape` is (n_channels, n_channels).

Eric