[Mne_analysis] [ANN] MNE-BIDS 0.5

Richard Höchenberger richard.hoechenberger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:33:31 EDT 2020

Hello!

After more than 6 months of hard work, we are very pleased to announce today's
release of MNE-BIDS version 0.5! 😁 🎉 🥳

What is MNE-BIDS?
=================

MNE-BIDS is a Python package that allows you to read and write BIDS-compatible
datasets with the help of MNE-Python. The project website is located at
https://mne.tools/mne-bids

Why would you want it?
======================

MNE-BIDS links BIDS and MNE-Python with the goal to make your analyses faster
to code, more robust, and facilitate data and code sharing with co-workers and
collaborators.

So, what's new in 0.5?
======================

This is a big release with lots of changes, many of them breaking existing
code. But do not fear: migration is easy, and you will love what we have been
cooking for you!

Notable changes
---------------

- We introduce BIDSPath, a new class for all BIDS file and folder operations.
  All functions in MNE-BIDS that previously accepted filenames and folder
  locations (e.g. bids_root) have been updated to work with BIDSPath. Others
  have been removed. Consequently, you will need to update your existing code,
  too. Don’t worry – it’s going to be a breeze! 🤗 Follow
  https://mne.tools/mne-bids/stable/use.html#mastering-bidspath and you'll be
  fine!

- The new function make_report() can help you populate a paragraph of your next
  paper’s methods section!

- You can now interactively mark channels as bad using mark_bad_channels().

- Elekta/Neuromag/MEGIN fine-calibration and crosstalk files can now be stored
  in your BIDS dataset via write_meg_calibration() and write_meg_crosstalk().

- When writing a raw file that contains annotations, these will now be
  converted to and stored as events by write_raw_bids().

- MNE-BIDS now requires MNE-Python 0.21.

- We have reworked large parts of the website and documentation.

Installation
============

We provide pip- and conda-installable packages.

Please follow the instructions at
https://mne.tools/mne-bids/stable/install.html

(Note that it might take a while for the packages to become available on all
 mirrors, so if you're not seeing 0.5 yet, try again in another hour 😇)

Asking for feedback
===================

If you're experiencing any issues with this release of MNE-BIDS, please do not
hesitate to get in touch with us. You may open an issue on our GitHub issue
tracker at https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-bids/issues

Contributors
============

The following people have contributed to this release of MNE-BIDS:

- Adam Li
- Alexandre Gramfort
- Alex Rockhill
- Austin Hurst