[Mne_analysis] equal length epochs & connectivity across epochs

Phillip Alday me at phillipalday.com
Fri Dec 3 23:13:40 EST 2021

The only EEG software that I'm aware of that will deal with unequal
length segments is FieldTrip. For most analyses, there is an implicit
assumption of equal length for both DSP and statistical reasons.

As far as implementing connectivity over time, you could in theory trick
MNE (or more precisely mne-connectivity as Alex indicated) to do this,
but appropriately transposing the data array in an Epochs object and
using the current method. I haven't thought about this means from an
inferential perspective, so I'm unsure how wise it would be to actually
do this. Adding this functionality to MNE could also take advantage of
the transpose-then-use-current-method, but somebody would have to take
the time to do this. (It's not going to be me.)

For the ragged segments / Epochs, it seems relatively unlikely to me
that anybody will implement this anytime soon because it involves
fundamentally changing the structure of the Epochs object, which
internally uses a Numpy (and hence rectangular, i.e. non ragged) array.

Hope this helps,

Phillip