[Homer-users] averaging and LPF

thuppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue May 3 07:38:21 EDT 2005

Shaun-

 1)  That sounds right for the stim averaging.  Pretime of -5 (negative)
means that blocks start 5 seconds before the green lines and extend
"Post-time" afterward.  That sounds right for the block timing for your
experiment.  Blocks that extend beyond the data set (i.e. if you had a stim
10 seconds from the end of data collection and asked to include more then
10s of post-time), these get ignored in averaging.

2)  To my knowledge, I don't know if anyone has done cardiac gating.
Certainly, people do that for fMRI.  There are other options for removing
cardiac, for example:

Eigen-vector filtering.  (i.e. Zhang et al.  2005. "Eigenvector-based
spatial filtering for reduction of physiological interference in diffuse
optical imaging". Journal of        Biomedical Optics 10(1))

Linear regresssion with auxillaries (i.e. pulse Oximeter).

Adaptive filtering/autoregressive

Kalman filtering:  (i.e. Prince et al.  2003.  "Time-series estimation of
biological factors in optical diffusion tomography" Phys. Med. Biol. 48
(2003) 1491–1504)

 (The first two options are either in HomER currently or in the next release
that I keep promising).

With respect to the next release of HomER:  We will have a poster on this at
this years Human Brain Mapping in Toronto.  The next version (with a bunch
of fixes and which no longer requires Matlab to run) will come out about
that time as well.

Ted Huppert, M.Sc.

PhD student-Harvard Univ.
Dept of Biophysics