[Homer-users] Using Matlab to substract conditions for ROI

Theodore Huppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 22 09:33:00 EDT 2007

Felix-

    I tried to repeat the steps you had done, but I was unable to
reproduce the error. I would be happy to take a look at the data file
if you wish to send me (thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu) the *.hmr saved
data file.  I can see if I can track down and fix any errors.

Also,note that the analysis in HOMER is done at three levels: i)
individual scans ii) scan sessions and iii) multiple scans/subjects.
The "AVERAGE" button computes the average across only a single scan
(level i).  The "AVERAGE ALL" button computes the average across a
single session (level ii).  The ROI average button computes TWO the
region-of-interest averages for the roi in level II and the group
average (level III).  These should be stored in the *.hmr file as DOT
{idx}.ROI for level 2 and DOT{idx}.ROIavg for level 3.    If you want
an ROI average PER condition, you should put each condition into a
seperate "Session" (level 2 analysis).  Otherwise, the average will
be computed across all the files.  A seperate MeasurementList can be
specified for each condition (to my knowledge this works... it worked
for me just now let me know if you find otherwise).

Note, there is also a way to specifiy more then 1 condition within a
single file.  In the *.nirs files, the stimulus timing is specified
by the variable "s".  This is typically a vector of 0's and 1's
marking the onsets of the stimuli  (or it can be a recorded signal
and HOMER will do some rising edge detection to find the onsets).
However, this variable (s) can also be a matrix, where each column
specifies a different stimulus condition.  I.e. s(:,1) for condition
1, s(:,2) for condtion 2, etc.  Once loaded into HOMER, these
additional conditions can be added to the linear model using the
"Averaging Options" button and adding these conditions as
regressors.  This is also how physiology measures can be added as
regressors to the model.  See the sample file named
"PhysiologyPhantom.nirs" for an example.

-Ted

Theodore Huppert, Ph.D.
thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu