[Homer-users] Optical Fibres suggestions

Dennis Hueber dmhueber at iss.com
Mon Jul 23 11:07:30 EDT 2007

Just a note concerning the ISS instruments and fibers. 200 to 400 micron
core is best for the sources, because the coupling of the lasers into
the fiber may be a problem. Also, very small bundles have been used. The
efficiency is not as good but is consistence. If you are building your
own instrument and you want to use much smaller and flexible single
fibers. You could get the lasers coupled by Oz-Optics and use 50 or 62.5
mircon fiber, which as just about as flexible as single-mode. We have
done this with prototypes.

About NIRS retransmission. Just about any optical-fiber will work in
short lengths (a few feet). If you want long fibers pay attention the
spectrum supplied by the manufacturer. Some transmit NIR better than
others.

Dennis Hueber
ISS Inc.