[Homer-users] Probabilistic Spatial Resgistration

Drew Halliday drewh at uvic.ca
Fri Feb 1 17:07:47 EST 2013

Hello NIRS community,

Has anyone successfully used gross anatomical landmarks (e.g., nasion,
inion, left and right preauriculars) to computer probabilistic spatial
registration using either Homer 2, or another program (e.g., fNRI Tools
from Ippedia Dan’s group)? My understanding is that this can be done
without MRI or 3D Digitizer data, however the disconnect for me is in
computing 10-20 or MNI coordinates based simply on distances from
nasion-inion, left-right preauriculars, and other combinations of distances
between these landmarks.

As the AltasViewer GUI in Homer 2 is not yet available, I have been using
fNRI Tools, and to a lesser extent NIRS_SPM.  An ‘origin’ and ‘others’
spreadsheet (.csv) are called during this process, however these
spreadsheets contain x, y and z axis coordinates, presumably computed using
either 3D digitizer data, MRI scans, or gross anatomical measurements.

Does anyone know how to use a probe geometry file, combined with gross
anatomical measurements, and produce said origin and others spreadsheets?
All thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks,

Drew