[Homer-users] Baseline for concentration plots

Huppert, Ted huppertt at upmc.edu
Thu Oct 3 15:20:33 EDT 2013

Mark-

The calculation of optical density (from which concentration is derived) is

dOD = - log( I / mean( I) );

Where "I" is the intensity data (e.g. The raw or filtered data your system measures between a src-det pair).  Thus, dOD is mean zero over the whole file.  Concentration is also mean zero.  This means the average of all the data (baseline, task, any artifacts, etc) so when there is a lot of drift at the start of the file it may not start at zero as appears at the start of your data, which I imagine may be because the first few points are a really large artifact and then the low-pass filter smeared it over a larger time window.  But, the average over the whole experiment is zero.

-Ted

Theodore Huppert, PhD
Assistant Professor
Departments of Radiology and Bioengineering
University of Pittsburgh
Email: huppertt at upmc.edu
Phone: (412) 647-8459

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"-  Einstein