[Homer-users] Using Short-Separation

Scholkmann Felix Felix.Scholkmann at usz.ch
Thu Aug 6 07:28:32 EDT 2015

Hi Mathieu,

"there doesn’t seem to be any effect on the short-separation itself"
-> This is what is expected since regressing out the information of the short separation channel (SSC) from he SSC itself causes a flat line (i.e. it's a proof that the regression works)

"there doesn’t seem to be any effect on all other channels in my case…
-> There are many reasons why there could be not effect of the SSC regression. I think there are two main ones:
1) The information in the SSC mainly contains noise, or information that is largely unrelated to the information in the long separation channels (LSC)
2) The location of the SSC does not match well with the LSC locations

The distance between the LSC and the SCC should not be too far. A good paper about how the hemodynamics of the scalp blood flow is correlated on the human head is this here: Zhang et al., 2015, Multiregional functional near-infrared spectroscopy reveals globally symmetrical and frequency-specific patterns of superficial interference. Biom. Opt. Exp. -> https://www.osapublishing.org/boe/abstract.cfm?uri=boe-6-8-2786
Look at Figure 4 to see how the regions of the head are linked regarding the scalp blood flow dynamics. This could be used to decide if it makes sense to use a specific SSC-LSC pair.

Best,
Felix