[Homer-users] Question on hmrMotionCorrectWavelet.

Sabrina Brigadoi sabrina.brigadoi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:55:34 EDT 2015

Dear Taka,

the wavelet motion correction algorithm implemented in Homer2 is not
exactly the method explained in Molavi and Dumont's paper. It is inspired
by that work and most of the code is very similar, though using a different
wavelet toolbox. The main difference is the threshold used. Molavi uses
alpha, a probability threshold for the coefficient distribution. The IQR
metric used in Homer2 is instead related to the interquartile range of the
wavelet coefficients distribution. All coefficients above Q3 + IQR times
the interquartile range (iqr) or below Q1 - IQR times the interquartile
range (iqr) are set to 0 and considered outliers of the distribution.
Usually, for outlier detection, IQR = 1.5. But for the nirs data, IQR can
be a tuning parameter, and can be set by the user depending on the amount
of noise present in the data. Using IQR = 1.5 is usually more conservative
than using the alpha=0.1 by Molavi. Reducing IQR, more coefficients are set
to 0 and more noise is removed. IQR should be set by the user depending on
the data, it cannot be fixed.

I am not sure about the relation between Molavi's alpha and iqr used in
Homer2, but looking at the maths it seems that the interquartile range of a
normal distribution is defined as: 2 Φ−1(0.75)σ  where  Φ−1 is the quantile
function and in Homer2 therefore, I think that the threshold can be defined
as Φ−1(0.75) + IQR*2 Φ−1(0.75)σ where IQR is the user set variable for the
upper threshold and Φ−1(0.25) - IQR*2 Φ−1(0.75)σ  for the lower threshold.

I hope this is useful and makes sense.

Sabrina

--
Sabrina Brigadoi, PhD