[Homer-users] Subject-specific MRI in AtlasViewer

Ryota Nishiyori ryonish at umich.edu
Wed Dec 6 15:38:30 EST 2017

Hi all,
I have a question regarding how "far" we can go with AtlasViewer in terms
of using subject-specific MRI.

My end goal is to be able project my probe (either from a .SD or a .nirs
file) onto the subject specific cortex and get the table with the labels
and MNI coordinates. I know this is possible with the template brain
(colin) that comes with AtlasViewer.

I would like to be able to get the coordinates of where my probe is
positioned on the head (e.g. MNI coordinates), so that I could compare my
positioning to other neuroimaging techniques that present coordinates.

The following is what I have done so far:

+ Processed structural MRI via freesurfer
+ Placed those freesurfer files in the same folder as my .nirs file
+ In AtlasViewer, ran File > Convert FS files to viewer
= My subject-specific MRI is displayed
+ Identified/located the reference points via Tools > Find Ref Points
+ Calculated Ref Points via Tools > Calculate Ref Points > 10-10
= 10-10 labels are displayed on subject specific MRI

- When I try to register the probe to the surface, I get an error.
- When I try to project to cortex, I get an error.

If anyone has had any success projecting a probe onto a subject-specific
anatomy, could you please share how you accomplished it. Or if anyone has
attempted something similar, I would very much appreciate a discussion.

Thank you for your time,

--
*Ryota Nishiyori, Ph.D.*

Class of 2016
School of Kinesiology, University of Michigan