[Mne_analysis] Mne_analysis: dSPM

Yury Petrov y.petrov at neu.edu
Fri Nov 21 18:23:13 EST 2008

Dear Daniel,

I was rereading your excellent dSPM intro, and have the following
degrees of freedom (DoF) question: what is the right number of DoF for
the noise in the F denominator? You say the number of the "baseline"
timepoints x 3. Where does this number of baseline timepoints come
from? Shouldn't it be just 3 (just as for the numerator), because we
add three variances? Also, if it was really not 3, then the correct F
value wouldn't be simply F = signal^2/noise^2 but F = signal^2 / 3 /
noise^2 / DoF_noise, i.e. the numerator and denominator would have to
be normalized by their respective DoFs, right?

Thanks,
Yury