[Mne_analysis] question on mne_surf2bem for MEG/EEG combined

Elisabeth Fonteneau elisabeth.fonteneau at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:34:46 EST 2009

Dear all,

I am a new user of MNE (post-doc MRC-CBU, Cambridge, UK),
and I already have some question for this mailing list.

I am analysing data that combined MEG & MEG and I have a question on the
following command (taken from MEG analysis alone)

mne_surf2bem --surf $SUBJECTS_DIR/<participant>/surf/lh.smseghead --id 4 --fif <participant>-head.fif

For the EEG I need 3 layers BEM (skull, brain and skin)

In the manual for MNE p76 it says " --surf <name>" Specifies a
FreeSurfer binary format surface file. Before specifying
the next surface (--surf or --tri options) details of the surface
specification can be given with the options listed in Section 5.4.2. "
for the  --id option, the identification number to assign to this
surface. (1 = inner skull, 2 =outer skull, 4 = scalp).

My question is the following
On this command above the file lh.smseghead correspond to the layer bem
of the scalp (--id 4) ONLY or is there also inside the info for the
other layers ???
If the info for the other layers are also in the same file how I do I
write the proper command

mne_surf2bem --surf $SUBJECTS_DIR/<participant>/surf/lh.smseghead --id 4
--id 2 --id 1 --fif <participant>-head.fif

or do I need to call 3 times the same file?

mne_surf2bem --surf $SUBJECTS_DIR/<participant>/surf/lh.smseghead --id 4
--surf $SUBJECTS_DIR/<participant>/surf/lh.smseghead --id 2
--surf $SUBJECTS_DIR/<participant>/surf/lh.smseghead --id 1
--fif <participant>-head.fif

If this is not the case that the different layers are in the same file,
which files should I prompt? in the directory /surf/ they are 56 others
and it is not explained anywhere which is what. (btw, I do not
understand why this file has "lh." affix does that mean it is only for
left hemisphere? there are also "rh." files...)

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,

E. Fonteneau

--