[Mne_analysis] customizing the source space

Alexandre Gramfort gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 4 02:48:21 EDT 2012

hi jeff,

as Dan suggested, it's not a great idea to solve the inverse problem
with a few hundreds of sources. You're likely to under fit your data
and have to mislocated activation peaks. The MNE way is to compute
the estimates on the full source space and then extract the time series
from a label as given automatically by FreeSurfer.

Examples in Python are:

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/inverse/plot_label_source_activations.html

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/inverse/plot_compute_mne_inverse_raw_in_label.html

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/inverse/plot_compute_mne_inverse_epochs_in_label.html

the last example also shows you have to compute a "label mean" i.e.
how to average the time courses in a label to obtain one time course
per label.

hope this helps

Alex