[Mne_analysis] FW: customizing the source space

Jeff Eriksen eriksenj at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 3 18:42:52 EDT 2012

Please respond to this address, not my gmail address:

eriksenj at ohsu.edu<mailto:eriksenj at ohsu.edu>

From: Jeff Eriksen <jefferiksen at gmail.com<mailto:jefferiksen at gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:40:20 -0700
To: Jeff Eriksen <eriksenj at ohsu.edu<mailto:eriksenj at ohsu.edu>>
Subject: FW: customizing the source space

From: Jeff Eriksen <jefferiksen at gmail.com<mailto:jefferiksen at gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:36:48 -0700
To: <mne_analysis at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:mne_analysis at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
Subject: customizing the source space

I worked a bit learning MNE last Oct-Nov, then had to do other things for a while. Now I am diving back into MNE, trying to relearn what I did last fall. One new area I am curious about is how to make a customized source space. Reading the V2.9 Dec 2007 manual sections 3.5 and 5.4 it seems one can use the "traditional" or "icosahedral" methods. The latter is clear to me, but the "traditional" method is not – what do you mean by traditional method here?

What I really want is to be able to pre-specify functional areas and use them as the basic elements of the source space. We are considering functional networks defined by fMRI experiments, but for the sake of argument we can here consider Brodmann areas. Can you imagine or suggest a way that I could use an individual subject's Brodmann areas as the source space? At one extreme would be assigning a single dipole to each Brodman area in one hemisphere. At the other would be to model each Brodmann area as a set of adjacent dipoles uniformly covering it, but linked as a unit.

Thanks,
-Jeff