[Mne_analysis] Trouble convertig 4D to .fif continued --- import / export open MEG format?

Alexandre Gramfort gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 16:23:32 EDT 2012

> Sure, I would stick with fif files for that part, hopefully I will
> succeed in creating those soon.
> The idea is to pipe data which were preprocessed externally to the mne
> software or to export mne data for external processing.
> The first one seems more obscure to me. As you indicated the second
> one should be feasible via Python.

tell me if you need help with that. It's < 10 lines to do such IO.

> It just would be nice (comparability of data from different sites,
> software packages, etc.) to feed the MNE / mne-python with data of
> arbitrary origin, e.g., whatever goes into a suitably shaped numpy
> ndarray with info from some header object... something like Nibabel
> for EEG/MEG.

indeed but it's much more complicated than for MRI. Take a look at
a measurement info structure in matlab or python to get an idea.
Matti has done a huge job to be able to convert a lot of MEG data
to fif for easy integration with MNE. We don't have the man power
currently to redo this in Python.

If you just want to get the data and stay in sensor space then it becomes easy
but it's too limited.

> Apparently the "hot part" depends om the fif files, which makes this
> one non-trivial, I guess.

indeed…