[Mne_analysis] combining events with mne-python

Denis-Alexander Engemann d.engemann at fz-juelich.de
Sat Apr 6 19:12:41 EDT 2013

Hi Ellen,

if I understand you correctly, your intent is to create averages including both conditions combined but also averages for each of the conditions. In that case just create your epochs with a dict, e.g. dict(aud_l=1, aud_r=2) as event_id parameter.

To have averages of 1, 2 and 1 + 2,
create a list including all three evoked objects and save them to a fiff.

e.g.

evokeds = [epochs[k].average() for k in event_id]

to create the separate evoked objects for each condition and then

evokeds += [epochs.average()]

to append the combined average to the previously created list.

then save the list of evokeds to a file using the mne.fiff.write_evoked function.

Also the following two examples might help:

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/plot_from_raw_to_multiple_epochs_to_evoked.html

http://martinos.org/mne/auto_examples/plot_topo_compare_conditions.html#example-plot-topo-compare-conditions-py

I hope that helps,
Denis