[Mne_analysis] question regarding mne_do_forward_solution

Dykstra, Andrew Andrew.Dykstra at med.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 30 06:23:32 EST 2013

Thanks all for the replies.

So, unless some change in the coordinate transforms has occurred between
the raw and evoked files, there should be no difference when using
either for computing the forward solution, correct?

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew R. Dykstra, PhD
Auditory Cognition Lab

"How small the cosmos.  How paltry and puny compared to human consciousness . . . to a single individual recollection." - Vladimir Nabokov

On 01/29/2013 09:16 AM, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:
> hi,
>
> unless something happened to the raw file since the evoked
> was computed the measurement information (channel
> location, head transformation etc.) should be identical between the raw
> and the evoked fif file. I guess this recommendation is mostly
> to avoid mistakes when you work on a particular evoked dataset.
>
> Best,
> Alex
>

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Hari Bharadwaj
> <hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>     I am guessing that is there just to remind us that we could have
>> applied transformations to the head coordinate frame like when using
>> 'maxfilter -trans ...' and hence it is best to use the --meas file to
>> which the inverse generated from this particular forward would be
>> applied.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hari
>>

>> On Mon, January 28, 2013 11:31 am, Andrew R. Dykstra wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a reason for the following text regarding the --meas argument of
>>> mne_do_forward_solution:
>>>
>>> "It is recommended that the average file is employed for evoked-response
>>> data and the original raw data file otherwise."
>>>
>>> If all the measurement file contributes is the sensor location/orientation
>>> info and the device-head transform, does it matter from which file - raw
>>> or
>>> averaged - these data are pulled?  The quoted text from the manual would
>>> suggest that a new forward solution be computed for each average file even
>>> if they all derive from the same raw measurement, but that doesn't seem to
>>> make sense.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andy