[Mne_analysis] How to modify source space file "*-src.fif"

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr
Sat May 31 15:13:04 EDT 2014

hi Thinh,

reducing the source space to the fMRI ROIs is really dangerous as you
will "force" the MEG data to be explained with these ROIs.
Using mne_do_inverse_operator is your only option as far as I know.
Scaling the source covariance is a soft way to restrict the source space.

Alex

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Thinh Nguyen <thinhnguyen0405 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi D,
>
> Thanks for your reply, I'm trying to reduce the number of active source
> using fMRI information. I have a txt file, or w file of the sources to do
> calculation on. The idea is just to remove those source points that are
> outside of my region of interest, then perform forward and inverse
> calculation as normal, using the modified source space.
> I know there is an option to constrain source space in
> mne_do_inverse_operator, but it seems to give unreasonable results (or at
> least very confusing results). As to my understanding, the constraints
> applied in mne_do_inverse_operator modify the source covariance matrix,
> which is not of interest to me.
> On the other hand, is there a way to modify the forward matrix, or inverse
> matrix at all? I know we can read them into matlab, but I don't know how to
> modify the *.fif file itself.
>
> Thanks
> Thinh
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM, dgw <dgwakeman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thinh,
>>
>> Typically, constraints are applied either to the forward matrix or inverse
>> matrix. Can you let us know what type of constraint you are trying to add,
>> so we might be able to help you better?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Thinh Nguyen <thinhnguyen0405 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi MNE users,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to modify the source space created in
>>> mne_setup_source_space step.
>>> MNE does create txt file version of the source space for visualization
>>> purposes, but I can't seem to find anyway to modify the src.fif file itself.
>>> I want to try applying a prior constraints onto the source space. Thank you
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Thinh Nguyen

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it
>>> is
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the