[Mne_analysis] python-MNE installation

Christopher Bailey bailey.cj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 03:14:10 EDT 2014

Hi Tommi,

Strange. But your CentOS certainly has a system python by default: many aspects of Linux OS management are built on it.

I'm also on the anaconda wagon these days, but had a go at EPD a while back. There are a bunch of environment variables that need to be set correctly in order for it to work (to prevent it from borking the system python). To debug this, would you please provide the output of

echo $SHELL # CentOS defaults to bash according to docs, have you spawned tcsh in a bash shell?
cat ~/.cshrc

also cat any other csh-scripts (like ~/.cshrc_epd?) that you run prior to issuing the ipython-command.

/Chris

On Oct 1, 2014, at 3:42 AM, raij at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I am not sure the diagnosis is entirely correct.
>
> I first checked that (to my knowledge) I have not installed any other
> pythons than Canopy (unless CentOS 6.5 includes a version by default).
>
> Then, I checked that both "which python" and "which pip" already point to
> Canopy (I did not do anything to the system yet). Specifically:
> which python
> /usr/pubsw/packages/python/System/bin/python
> which pip
> /usr/pubsw/packages/python/System/bin/pip
>
> (Note that when installing Canopy I set it to reside in
> /usr/pubsw/packages/python/)
>
> Next, I re-installed (as root) the python mne package just to make sure it
> is there:
> pip install -e git+https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python#egg=mne-dev
>
> However, the errors for
> ipython --pylab gt
> and
> ipython -> import mne
>
> remain exactly the same as before.
>
> If you still believe I need to uninstall the pip I installed with yum, I
> would greatly appreciate if you could let me know which command I should
> use for uninstallation (I found a ton of different ways, and some of these
> will likely mess up the system in more than one way).
>
> Thank you!
>
> Tommi
>

>> hi Tommi,
>>
>> the problem is that you have 2 python systems installed:
>> - the system one that uses yum for installs + updates
>> - canopy
>>
>> when you did "yum install -y python-pip" you installed pip
>> for the system and not for canopy. I suspect canopy already
>> comes with pip installed.
>>
>> I recommend you uninstall pip with yum and any other python
>> packages you installed with yum and then make sure you use canopy.
>>
>> to check this use:
>>
>> which python
>>
>> it should point to the canopy folder. If it's the case do the same with
>> pip
>>
>> which pip
>>
>> if it points to canopy then you can safely do:
>>
>> pip install -e git+https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python#egg=mne-dev
>>
>> let us know how it goes.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM,  <raij at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> New python (and longtime MNE) user here, hello to all.
>>>
>>> I am having trouble installing MNE-python on a linux box outside
>>> Martinos
>>> Center. The machine (Dell Precision T7500)) runs CentOS 6.5 and has
>>> Freesurfer (5.3), MNE suite (developmental), and MATLAB installed -