[Mne_analysis] python-MNE installation

Mainak Jas mainakjas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 06:00:51 EDT 2014

Hi Tommi,

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:11 AM, <raij at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi Mainak,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I am using csh and am able to launch ipython
> (that I believe is what I installed with Canopy) from the csh terminal.

I think what you have is the system default ipython, not the one installed
with Canopy.

> make this happen, I just added the following line to my .cshrc:
> setenv PATH /usr/pubsw/packages/python/System/bin:${PATH}

shouldn't it be something like: ~/Enthought/Canopy_64bit/User/bin ? (see
here:
https://support.enthought.com/entries/23646538-Make-Canopy-User-Python-be-your-default-Python-i-e-on-the-PATH-
)

 I have very little experience in using bash (yes I am a horrible person
> :D). In my system I have not been able to launch ipython at all from bash
> (perhaps there is something wrong with my ~/.bash_profile ? though I did
> try to add a path to the canopy installation). Anyway based on the
> following page canopy would appear to ok with both bash and tcsh:
> http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Epd_canopy

Yes, but are you actually using the tcsh activation script? I suspect that
the default activation script that comes with canopy is bash. You need to
run the activation script to have your canopy virtual environment set up.
Usually, this is added in the .bashrc or something and it gets executed
every time you start the bash terminal.

The reason I suspect this is the problem is because in your error messages
(from the first email), I don't see the canopy virtual environment which is
strange. Maybe you have disabled the virtual environment prompt? If you
enable it, you should see something like this:
http://docs.enthought.com/canopy/_images/canopy_terminal.png as your prompt
in terminal.

(Canopy 64-bit) ~ tommi$

> Let me know if you still think this might the root of the problem...
>
> I also wonder that since many seem to be using Anaconda instead of Canopy,
> if I should move my camp there instead.

Yes, I agree. It might be easier. I switched to Anaconda earlier this year
and I found it much easier to use than Canopy.

Mainak