[Mne_analysis] Current dipole moment densities

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at telecom-paristech.fr
Fri Apr 1 04:01:18 EDT 2016

hi Emily,

> I'm trying to plot current dipole moment densities (e.g. Murakami and Okada
> 2015 NeuroImage) in mne_analyze and mne-python, and it all seems rather
> confusing.
>
> As far as I can tell based on the manual, MNE-C can compute densities if the
> cortical patch statistics are available.
>
> But I'm confused about when the
> cortical patch statistics are used after they are calculated. What do I need
> to do to specify that I want current moment densities rather than
> unnormalized moments?

the forward BEM code makes use of it. It basically yields surface
weighted forward fields.

see

https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/mne/forward/forward.py#L451
https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/mne/minimum_norm/inverse.py#L1294

so when you use MNE or a sparse solver that returns source amplitudes
you should get source densities when the patch info is present.

ok?

ALex