[Mne_analysis] Making Functional labels from spatial temporal clustering

Marijn van Vliet w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:05:05 EDT 2016

Dear Qunxi,

the output of `summarize_clusters_stc’ is a bit poorly documented (I’ve opened a pull request for it to be fixed in future versions of MNE).

The output is as follows:

    out : instance of SourceEstimate
        A summary of the clusters. The first time point in this SourceEstimate
        object is the summation of all the clusters. Subsequent time points
        contain each individual cluster. The magniture of the activity
        corresponds to the length the cluster spans in time (in samples).

So it is perfectly reasonable to create labels from the clusters. However, you do not need to take the mean across the time points or anything like that. Also, thresholding does not do what you want. Instead, this should work:

stc = summarize_clusters_stc(clu, p_thre, tstep=tstep,
                                                 tmin=tmin, vertices=fsave_vertices,
                                                subject='fsaverage')
lh_labels, rh_labels = mne.stc_to_label(stc, src=src, smooth=True,
                                  subjects_dir=subjects_dir, connected=True)

The labels look bigger than the clusters as visualised with stc.plot(…), because the plotting functions applies its own thesholding. Try to visualise it without any thresholding by doing this:

b = stc.plot(hemi=‘both’, subject=subject, subject_dir=subject_dir)
b.scale_data_colormap(0, stc.data.mean(), stc.data.max(), True)

Marijn.

--
Marijn van Vliet
w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com