[Mne_analysis] Best way to apply eye blink projections with the common average

Boggess, Matthew Jozsef MBOGGESS at mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 24 10:01:51 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

By default, MNE seems to add an average reference projection to the raw data. I then noticed that when computing an eye blink EOG projection (using compute_proj_eog) the average reference projection gets applied prior to the computation of the projection. However, my intuition would be that you would not want to apply the average reference projection first because it will attenuate the eye blink artifacts and consequently make the periods where you estimate the eye blink noise subspace relatively less dominated by the eye blinks. Is there a recommended ordering to computing and applying these projections?

Thanks in advance!
Matt