[Mne_analysis] trouble reading the triggers in a .BDF file

Teon Brooks teon.brooks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 21:13:09 EDT 2016

Hi David,

I just had a look at your edf file that you uploaded, and quick question,
is this the correct file or is there a .BDF that you are trying to analyze?
I had a look at the header of this file, and there isn't a stim channel
listed ($head Anna\ Priming-edf.edf). Here, I see that there are 132 EEG
channels, and two reference channels. Is this the same file your colleague
looked at, if so, what channel did they see the corresponding trigger
channels on?

Quick explanation for what you saw on the supposed trigger channel: the
reader assumes the last channel of the data block is the stimulus channel
(i.e. stim_channel=-1), which is the typical setting. The values you saw
were the software attempt to decode the stim channel values.

You can look to see how the test data for edf and bdf list either triggers
or annotation for the triggering information (cf.
mne-python/mne/io/edf/tests/data/).

Feel free to follow up and I can try to further debug this problem.

Hope this helps,

teon
--
Teon Brooks <http://teonbrooks.github.io>, PhD Candidate