[Mne_analysis] mne make_scalp_surfaces error

Leonardo Barbosa lsbarbosa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:09:39 EDT 2016

Dear list,

Since I changed to the the develop version (0.14.dev0), I've been seeing a
warning message whenever I try to do the co-registration using
mne.gui.coregistration:

------

No high resolution head model was found for subject USER_2005_T1, using
standard head instead. In order to generate a high resolution head model,
run:

$ mne make_scalp_surfaces -s USER_2005_T1

------
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0p7WZ2wlTFSTjZQSGNMOHpCTGc

So far, following the Head Model tutorial, I've been using

mne watershed_bem -s USER
(output: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0p7WZ2wlTFSODIzekhIQ2tuNnM)

which generates the head surface .fif file in :

bem/USER_2005_T1-head.fif (together with some other surface files)

and did not have any further problems.

Following the warning, I tried to run the

mne make_scalp_surfaces -s USER_2005_T1

and even though the high-resolution was created in

bem/NCCAM_2005_T1-head-dense.fif (together with the surf/*seghead* files)

I got the following error in the part that generates the medium
tessellation (output here :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0p7WZ2wlTFSZHp0VVpBUWxNbXc).

Therefore my question is: *can I safely ignore the warning and use the
lower resolution bem generated by the watershed algorithm?*
*What would be the advantages of using the high-resolution version?*

One clear advantage for me it to use the high resolution when possible to
mark the fiducials, but I figure that for the actual forward model a lower
resolution must be used otherwise it would take long to compute all
electrical distances, no?

Of note:

* The same error occurs when I use the version 0.13-dev and 0.13 stable.
* I'm using

mne_surf2bem version 1.6 compiled at Dec 21 2009 19:47:09

* I noticed that mne_surf2bem complains about a --force option, which
apparently do not exist.
If I try to remove the offending argument, I get a different error (output
here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0p7WZ2wlTFSbHdTWkpub2N2T3c)

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,
Leonardo Barbosa