[Mne_analysis] Finding the alternative to Matlab's runica inmne

Igal Nazar igal at brainster-tech.com
Thu Nov 9 15:30:49 EST 2017

Hi all,

I'm dealing with big issues trying to find an alternative to code running
on Matlab using runica.m. Right now the code calls runica with the
following parameters:
'lrate', 0.001
'extended', 1
'random_setting', 'default '

Moreover, no pca is performed.

The variables that interest me in the output of the function are: weights,
sphere.

In python - trying to follow these instruction (
https://martinos.org/mne/stable/auto_tutorials/plot_artifacts_correction_ica.html
just until the fitting step), that's what I did:

n_components = 14  # if float, select n_components by explained variance of PCA
method = 'extended-infomax'  # for comparison with EEGLAB try
"extended-infomax" here
decim = 1  # we need sufficient statistics, not all time points -> saves time

# we will also set state of the random number generator - ICA is a
# non-deterministic algorithm, but we want to have the same decomposition
# and the same order of components each time this tutorial is run
random_state = 0

# create an ICA instance called ica
ica = mne.preprocessing.ICA(n_components=n_components, method=method,
random_state=random_state, max_iter=512, max_pca_components=None)
picks_eeg = mne.pick_types(raw.info, meg=False, eeg=True, eog=False,)
ica.fit(raw, picks=picks_eeg, decim=decim)

my questions are:

   1. is it possible to run ICA without PCA in mne?
   2. what is the equevialents of Matlab's variables: weights and sphere?

Hope I'm clear enough,
Thanks,

Igal

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/igal-nazar/>*Igal Nazar*