[Mne_analysis] Problem installing mayavi

Andrew R. Dykstra andrew.dykstra at uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 31 10:09:25 EDT 2017

Hi Dirk,

An alternative to what Chris proposed that may be a bit simpler is if you
issue the following commands, from your home directory, in the specified
order (after having downloaded and installed conda):

conda install mayavi scipy matplotlib scikit-learn jupyter spyder (and any
other packages)
pip install PySurfer
git clone git://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python.git
cd mne-python
python setup.py develop

This prioritizes mayavi, and unfortunately means that you'll be stuck with
matplotlib version 1.5 (as opposed to version 2). I think the conflict may
be arising because the newest version of matplotlib (and maybe some other
stuff as well) uses qt5, whereas mayavi is still using qt4. The way I got
around this was to revert to matplotlib 1.5, thus avoiding the qt4/5
conflict.

HTH,
Andy

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017, Dirk van Moorselaar <
dirkvanmoorselaar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I mailed that I had troubles using raw.plot (Subject: problem
> scrolling trough data using raw.plot). I realised that this might have had
> something todo with the way I installed mne. To install mne I followed the
> instructions on the website. I installed anaconda and then tried to execute
> the following lines.
>
> $ conda install scipy matplotlib scikit-learn mayavi jupyter spyder$ pip install PySurfer mne
>
> However, installing mayavi resulted in the following error:
>
> Fetching package metadata .............
> Solving package specifications: .
>
> UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in
> conflict:
>   - mayavi
>   - navigator-updater
>   - pywavelets
>
> To circumvent this error I installed mne without installing Pysurfer and
> mne. I was wondering whether this could explain the problem I encountered
> with raw.plot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dirk

Andrew R. Dykstra, PhD
Department of Neurology
Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
andrew.dykstra at uni-heidelberg.de

"How small the cosmos. How paltry and puny compared to human consciousness
 ... to a single individual recollection."