[Mne_analysis] Beamforming tSSS vs Raw Dataset

Stout, Jeffrey jstout at mcw.edu
Thu Sep 14 12:24:46 EDT 2017

Hi All,

Our system is a 306 channel Elekta using the maxshield active shielding.  What is the opinion of the group regarding beamforming on the raw unprocessed dataset versus the tSSS processed data.  I have heard that the higher rank of the unprocessed data (rank=306) produces better beamforming results than tSSS cleaned datasets (rank ~60).  This decision is slightly complicated because eyeblink/cardiac cleanup (ICA or SSP) and amplitude rejection may not be possible in the RAW datasets that are dominated by non-physiological noise.

I also wanted to see if the SSP or ICA projectors can/cannot be created on the tSSS data and applied to the RAW data.  Would this be viable mathematically?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff Stout