[Mne_analysis] installation failure on OS X

Joseph Dien jdien07 at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 13:58:10 EDT 2018

Hi,
   I could use some help on installing MNE.  I have some UNIX experience and am a newcomer to Python.  On OS X 10.13.5 I followed the installation instructions at https://www.martinos.org/mne/stable/install_mne_python.html

The version numbers are:
conda 4.5.4
Python 3.6.5 :: Anaconda, Inc.

Everything went fine until I got to:

conda env create -f environment.yml

which resulted in the error:

NotWritableError: The current user does not have write permissions to a required path.
  path: /Users/jdien/.conda/environments.txt

I didn’t notice the error message and went all the way to the end.

I got the message that MessagePack wasn’t installed, perhaps because of the error, so I installed it manually.

When I wasn’t able to import MNE, I went back and saw the problem.  .conda belonged to root rather than me and I didn’t have permission.  I fixed the permissions problem and redid the conda env create -f environment.yml step.

This time it mostly went fine all the way through.

I did get the message that:

mkl-random 1.0.1 requires cython, which is not installed.
mkl-fft 1.0.0 requires cython, which is not installed.

when I tried manually installing cython, I was informed that it was already installed.

anyway, when I get to the final step, I get:

>>> import mne
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'mne'

I’m not sure what to do at this point.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

Joseph Dien, PhD
Senior Research Scientist
Department of Human Development and Quantitative Methodology
University of Maryland, College Park
http://joedien.com