[Mne_analysis] EEG artifacts Related

Marijn van Vliet w.m.vanvliet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:13:08 EST 2019

There should always be some sensor noise at all frequencies. So, given a typical sensitivity of your analog to digital converter, I would regard even two consecutive values that are exactly the same a hardware artifact.

A good way to test whether you are recording actual data is to first record near the eyes and blink a few times. That is not EEG, but should give some nice peaks. Same goes for biting down, that should generate a huge signal due to EMG activity. Finally, to check for real EEG, measure at the back of the head with your eyes closed and all head and shoulder muscles as relaxed as possible. It varies from person to person, but likely you’ll see a smooth sine wave, around 10 Hz., starting to occur in the signal (your alpha wave).

best,
Marijn.